SMO – Social Media Optimization Techniques to Build Targeted Web Traffic
Now that social media for business has been around for over eight years (if you define the beginning as coinciding with the launch of LinkedIn in May 2003), we need to know how to get our Social Media Optimization done right. It is worth taking a step back and summarizing the ways you can optimize your website and your online activities to reap the full benefits.
This is what Social Media Optimization is all about! It gives us the opportunity to promote ourselves or our businesses in more ways, hopefully without becoming known as a spammer. All things need to be done with taste and at the right measure; do not become a nuisance.
In essence, Social Media Optimization has the following goals:
- To create shareable content
- To facilitate the sharing of content
- To reward engagement with your site
- To participate in the sharing of content
- Encourage the mashup (make it easy for others to use your content, in whole or in part within the context of their own content)
The above are based on Rohit Bhargava’s 5 rules of social media optimization.
Here is the checklist of Social Media Optimization Techniques:
- Blogging. Use blogging to provide regular updates on themes related to your industry sector. Draw attention to your site and inspire your audience to react. You will be able to learn a lot about your market from the comments made to your blog posts. Doing that, Google will improve your rankings as it prefers live, regularly updated content. Place the related blog content on your site.
- Social Bookmarking. Make sure that your visitors can bookmark (or tag) your content easily. Include buttons to make it easy to share content such as Google’s new +1 button or an ‘add this’ button
- RSS Feeds. RSS is an effective way to deliver the dynamic content of your website. Implement an RSS feed creation tool such as feedburner or rapidfeeds
- Video and Audio. It may sound simplistic, but people love video content (and audio content especially in the form of podcasts that they can download). Reams of text can be boring and video content can put across a message or explain how to perform some task in an engaging and convenient way. Because video and audio content can be posted on YouTube, the social qualities are obvious. Sharing is also facilitated on Twitter, Facebook and a whole host of other platforms.
- User Rating and Polling tools. Utilization of tools to conduct surveys and tools is a highly recommended way of getting quantifiable feedback from your online audience, feedback you will be able to use to influence your direction in the marketplace and adjust your marketing campaigns and web site content in general. Examples of such tools are Survey Gizmo and Poll Daddy
- Reward your friends and followers. By doing so, you will strengthen your relationships and increase your following. Here is a fine example from Porsche, celebrating 1,000,000 Facebook fans.
We all love Rewards and we all love Freebies, so keep that in mind when trying to promote your business.