Advanced SEO Techniques – 5 Steps
There are various articles on Relaxed Home Biz covering SEO such as:
‘On Page SEO – How to get it right!’, ‘Great Ways To Start Link Building Today’ and ‘Finding the Right Keyword for your Site’ (all prerequisites to this article), but this article covers some more advanced SEO techniques which you may feel ready to take advantage of.
- Create a Google Webmasters Tools Account. From this account you can check whether there are any errors reported by Google when it tries to crawl your website (and take any necessary corrective action). You can also
- investigate the top search queries.
- check back links.
- submit a Google Site map (see below).
- Create a Google Sitemap and submit it to Google. This is a way of reinforcing which pages you want Google to visit on your site and of encouraging more frequent visits. A sitemap can be generated from XML-Sitemaps.com and then submitted via the aforementioned Google webmasters tools.
- Investigate which pages of your site have been indexed by Google. Do this by visiting the Google search engine and typing into the search box site:yourwebaddress (replacing yourwebaddresswith your actual web address). When looking through the results of this query, check that Google:
- is not indexing duplicate pages.
- is not indexing pages which have little or no value in being included (e.g. “service pages” such as user friendly error message and activity confirmation pages). You can exclude them by editing your robots.txt file (see www.robotstxt.org for assistance).
- is including all important pages.
- Check that when your site is crawled only 404 (Not found) or a 410 (Gone) response codes are returned in response to requests for a non-existing pages. It can lead to problems if anything else is returned (such as a redirection to a custom page or the home page). Use a ‘check server headers’ tool such as www.seoconsultants.com/tools/headers to make such checks.
- Advanced SEO is Checking that your website’s pages are loading efficiently. Google prefers fast loading pages when deciding which pages to rank higher. A useful site for making these checks is webpagetest.org. Factors leading to slow loading pages include:
- Too much graphic content or graphics which are not optimized for the web
- Poor hosting or sharing a host with many other websites
- Excessive number of connections to a database or multiple databases
These advanced SEO techniques can help you get ahead of your competitors. However, one should not forget that the most crucial SEO activities are working on unique good quality content and the natural acquisition of backlinks.
Advanced SEO Techniques: Turbocharge Your Traffic & Profits on Autopilot!